0 Item Items
Subject to availability at the supplier. Expected delivery in 4 to 32 business days.
Warning: Last items in stock!
Availability date: 06/15/2016
By buying this product you can collect up to 36 loyalty points. Your cart will total 36 loyalty points that can be converted into a voucher of 0,36 €.
|Decals||Patrick Aviation Elmdon, Royal New Zealand Air Force, Israel AF/IDF, Channel Islands Air Freight, NV Nastra Luchtreclame Service, Culliford Airlines|
|Attention||Do not include paint or glue ( sold separately )|
|Content||Injection molded plastic |Decals with authentic markings | Detailed instruction of assembly|
The Miles M.57 Aerovan was a British twin-engined short-range low-cost transport designed and built by Miles Aircraft. It was used for freight, joy-riding and passenger services. It was also used by many commercial operators and for some military purposes.
It was a twin-engined high-wing monoplane of plastic-bonded plywood construction with some spruce and metal parts. It had fixed tricycle undercarriage, three vertical tail and rudder units, one central and two as tailplane endplates, reminiscent of the Miles Messenger. A large fin area was required by the deep-sided forward fuselage, and a pod and boom fuselage. Two pilots were seated beneath a large clear perspex canopy which formed the front dorsal part of the pod, four or five circular windows providing a view for passengers on either side. The Aerovan was capable of lifting a family car, loaded through clamshell rear doors. Designed in 1944, the prototype was built at Miles factory at Woodley, Berkshire and was first flown there by Tommy Rose on 26 January 1945.
Aerovan production started in 1946 primarily for civil use, although examples were used briefly by the military of Israel and New Zealand. Production ended late in 1947. A licence was granted to manufacture the type in France but no production resulted. One RNZAF machine was converted, unsuccessfully, for aerial fertiliser spreading and a second for aeromagnetic survey work. One Mark 6 was used for research with a Hurel-Dubois high aspect ratio wing in 1957, being then known as the HDM.105. The prototype retroactively named the Mark 1 was later fitted with a 5/6th replica of the Armstrong Siddeley Mamba turboprop nacelle for the Miles Marathon.
Most Mk 3 and 4 Aerovans were employed on passenger and freight services, charter work and joyriding in the UK and in the Near East. Meridian Air Maps operated Aerovan 4 G-AISF on aerial survey work from October 1955 until it crashed on takeoff from Manchester (Ringway) on 29 April 1957. The accident killed the pilot Jean Lennox Bird, the first woman to receive RAF wings, and two passengers.
The newly formed Israeli Air Force acquired a single Aerovan G-AJWI from the UK which entered service in June 1948. Able to use very short landing strips it was flown into settlements and Jerusalem airport in the face of defensive rifle fire. On 17 July 1948 it made a forced landing south of Tel Aviv and was destroyed by Palestinians.
1/72 plastic kit from Mikromir, to build the Miles M.57 Aerovan, with decals for six civilian and military versions.
No customer reviews for the moment.